Monday, August 3, 2009

Chocolate Cream Pie

I'm not sure where this recipe originated...but I think my mother perfected the art of making it. She made it for my dad's birthday most years. So what better time for me to whip it out than for my husband's 30th? And this time, I took pictures.

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
2 squares baker's chocolate
5 Tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups milk
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pre-cooked, 9" pie crust


Unfortunately, I didn't have the time or ingredients for the perfect pie crust mentioned above. So, I had to make do with a standard. It bubbled when I cooked it, making the pie even more unsightly. But it was delicious. I can testify.
Directions:
In a large, microwavable bowl, place 1 cup of the milk and chocolate. Microwave at 30 second intervals until chocolate is melted. In another bowl, combine sugar, salt, flour, and other cup of milk. Mix well. Add to melted chocolate mixture. Cook in microwave for one-minute intervals until thick, stirring between each minute. Stir in egg yolks. Return to microwave and cook one minute longer, stirring once after 30 seconds. Remove from microwave. Add butter and vanilla. Pour into baked pie crust. Allow to cool at least 2 hours. Serve with whipped cream if desired. This can easily modified to cook on the stove top; however it does take more time than does the microwave version.

5 comments:

nGogo said...

Jessi,
So glad you posted this...it is so good! Thanks.

gina said...

yahoo! Yum Yum.

Josiah said...

I will attest to its tastiness! It was wonderfully wonderful.

- Josiah

mKhulu said...

Jessi, you're my favourite. Wonder if that pie could become my favourite too.

Natalie said...

I've had it before- I think for your dad's birthday one year you actually made it, and it was SO GOOD. I'm not even going to try, you'll just have to come to Chicago and make it for me on your way to Minnisota one day...